When Is the Best Time to Hire an Auto Accident Attorney?
After a car accident, many people wonder when the best time is to hire an auto accident lawyer. Ideally, victims should consult with a lawyer as soon as possible–before ever speaking with the other driver’s insurance company. Insurance companies have claims adjusters and lawyers who seek to award you the minimal amount for your injuries. At the Law Office of Kyle W. Jones, we will work hard to maximize the compensation that you are entitled to receive by law.
Why Hire an Auto Accident Attorney?
If you’ve experienced injuries due to the negligence of another driver, your legal right is to pursue damages against them. A Bakersfield lawyer can help protect your rights in order to recover fair compensation. Hiring a lawyer has many other benefits, including:
Dealing With the Insurance Company
Insurance companies want to settle the case for as little as possible, and they may take advantage of the personal and financial stress that the accident has caused you by offering you a quick payment—but this payment can often be just a fraction of what you actually deserve. They can use deceptive tactics to get you to say something that will ultimately reduce your claim. An auto accident lawyer can advise you on what to say and what not to say to the insurance company to increase your chances of maximum recovery.
Helping You Understand Your Rights
The laws surrounding injury claims can be complex, and you may not realize all of the damages that you might be able to receive. Depending on the specifics of your case, you could include:
- Property damage: The claim should include the cost to repair the automobile that was damaged in the accident. In the event that your vehicle is deemed a total loss by your insurance company, you should be compensated for its full value.
- Medical care: When you’re hurt in the accident, you should seek medical care as soon as possible. Even if you don’t get treatment at the scene, you could have some internal injuries that might not present any symptoms until hours later. Be sure to include any bills that you incurred as a result of your immediate care.
- Rehabilitative care: Some injuries may require more extensive treatment, such as physical therapy, to fully recover from them. Consider these costs in your claim.
- Lost wages: If you had to take time off to heal from your injuries, your lawyer will determine a dollar amount intended to compensate you for your lost wages during that period.
- Future lost income: Did you experience a disabling injury? You may be able to claim damages for any future lost income if the injury is so severe that you are unable to return to work in the same capacity as before.
- Pain and suffering: A car accident can leave you with extreme physical and emotional pain. Your lawyer will work with you to determine if you might be able to receive compensation for any pain or suffering you experienced.
At the Law Office of Kyle W. Jones in Bakersfield, we know what you can include in an injury claim, and we will explore each of these factors with you in detail.
Proving Liability in Your Case
Sometimes, drivers who are in an accident together can disagree on who is at-fault for the collision, which can make seeking compensation on your own very difficult. A lawyer can work to prove liability using a variety of resources, including police records and witness statements as well as testimonies from expert auto accident investigators and other specialists. Their goal will be to prove liability without a doubt so that you can achieve the compensation you need to move forward.
Helping You Explore All of Your Legal Options
After a car accident, you may be unsure whether or not you are eligible for compensation. Consulting with a lawyer is the best way to determine if you have a valid claim. They will review the particulars of your case and then present you with your options for moving forward with a claim.
In many cases, the insurance company will offer a settlement, which is a monetary amount that you can accept to avoid a lawsuit. A lawyer will be able to advise you on what constitutes a fair offer for your individual case and help you negotiate with the insurance company. Often, this involves some back-and-forth until both parties agree with the settlement. Your lawyer can assist you every step of the way and answer any questions you may have about your options.
Filing a Lawsuit Against the Other Driver
If you can’t come to a reasonable agreement with the insurance company, its time to file a lawsuit. Your lawyer can help you with the process, ensuring that all of your paperwork is filed correctly within the state’s deadline.
Generally, Californians have two years to file an injury claim. This is within the statute of limitations. After two years, you lose your legal right to compensation, so start the process as soon as possible. The best time to call a lawyer is immediately following your accident. As time goes on, you may forget certain details of your accident, which can negatively affect your case. Filing right away also gives your lawyer ample time to gather evidence and prepare your claim.
Request Your Appointment Today
If you injure and injury in a car accident, the Law Office of Kyle W. Jones is ready to help you recover the compensation that you deserve. We’ve successfully handled many Bakersfield auto accident claims for clients. We will do our best to ensure you have funds you need to fully recover from your auto accident. Contact our firm today to speak with an auto accident attorney and schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with a car accident attorney.